Produced by Dance Ahead in May 2019 in association with BBC Radio Cumbria and The Lanes Shopping Centre, Carlisle as part of the Get Creative Festival. Do the Doodle, supported in kind by University of Cumbria, transformed a centrally based empty retail space into a whitewashed canvas for community play and immersion. The space was split into zones providing an interactive community art installation that merged dance and doodling in innovative, accessible ways.
As part of BBC’s Get Creative project in May we produced a unique event that allowed passers-by and members of the community to create a cumulative community artwork through movement and doodling.
- To raise the profile of creative and cultural engagement within Carlisle communities
- To encourage inter-generational sharing through multi-disciplinary arts practice
- To participate in a national BBC event and raise the profile of Carlisle
- To encourage diverse social interaction through a series of accessible participatory activities
- To allow for freedom of expression through multi-media disciplines and the ongoing co-curation of public art
- To enable collaboration and cross-disciplinary practice between local artists and community participants
- Increased community access to creative practice
- Use of empty space – assisting in a reimagining of city centre for a social purpose
- Greater exposure and community reach for local artists
- Opportunities for collaborative relationships between businesses, artists and communities
- Local exposure through BBC Radio Cumbria